Saturday, December 15, 2012

Joan Scott, Trainer


A Tampa Bay Downs  insider’s opinions, observations and
reflections about their favorite sport

 
Before going out on her own in 2000, Joan Scott galloped horses or worked as an assistant for top trainers Bud Delp, Elliott Walden, Carl Nafzger and Nick Zito. Racing has given her an opportunity to travel extensively, and she worked at such prestigious sales as Deauville in France and Newmarket in England. Scott was a co-owner and trainer of Dr. Zic, a filly who won the Grade I Vinery Madison at Keeneland two years after capturing  the Sandpiper Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs in her second career start. Scott won this season’s Sandpiper on Opening Day with Cor Cor, a filly she trains for Steve Ballou and Harriet Waldron.

HOMETOWN: Penn Laird, Va.

BEST HORSE EVER OWNED/TRAINED/RIDDEN: I owned and trained Grade I winner Dr. Zic and trained Grade II winner Freefourinternet, who I ran in the 2003 NetJets Breeders’ Cup Mile at Santa Anita. Also, talk about things coming full circle: Dr. Zic is in foal to Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner Unbridled’s Song, a horse I galloped for Nick Zito.

HOW I GOT STARTED IN RACING: I went to Kentucky to work with Saddlebreds and got a job working the Keeneland November Sale and breaking Thoroughbred yearlings for Margaux Stud. I loved the opportunities the sport provides.

MY BIGGEST INSPIRATION: My dad – he was kind, honest and always had faith in me.

ONE CHANGE I WOULD MAKE TO RACING: Create national uniform medication rules.

MY FAVORITE SPORTS TEAM/ATHLETE: My horses, the members of Joan Scott Racing!

NO. 1 ON MY BUCKET LIST: To travel to Machu Picchu in Peru.

FAVORITE MOVIE: Raising Arizona (1987).

FAVORITE THING ABOUT TAMPA BAY DOWNS: It is a great surface to train on. The horses relax here, and so do I!

ADVICE TO SOMEONE STARTING IN RACING: Educate yourself. Work hard, ask questions and keep an open mind. Pay attention to what successful owners, trainers and jockeys do, and learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment